Financial Aid FAQ

Be sure to review the Applying for Aid page for dates and deadlines.

Applications received after the priority deadline will be subject to reduced financial assistance based on fund availability.

How to Submit: The FAFSA can be filled out and submitted online at . You should not wait for an admission decision from Norwich University before filing these financial aid documents. You must list Norwich as one of the colleges to receive a copy of the report from the processing agency.

Norwich University's FAFSA code is 003692


FSA ID: You are required to create a FSA ID in order to complete the FAFSA. The FSA ID gives you access to Federal Student Aid’s online systems and can serve as your legal signature.

Documentation: We may contact you via the email address or addresses on your FAFSA to request additional documents. It is the student/parent responsibility to check their email for these communications.



Get Answers To Your Questions About Tuition And Financial Aid

Federal Work Study (FWS) is a campus based federal fund which allows students to work part time on campus to earn money to pay for educational expenses. You must qualify for the need based FWS program by completing the FAFSA form every year. FWS funds are not subtracted from the student bill. The student must work to earn the funds and receive a bi-weekly paycheck for hours worked

You may be eligible for work study if you:
- Submitted your FAFSA before December 15.
- Requested Work Study on the FAFSA.
- Are eligible for need-based financial aid.
A student's actual award will depend on the availability of Federal Work Study funds. Funds are limited, so we encourage students to file the FAFSA by the priority filing date and to submit all required paperwork as early as possible.


A need-based federal student loan that does not accrue interest while the student is attending school at least half time enrollment. Direct federal loans have a six-month grace period, after enrollment ends prior to repayment starting.


Interest DOES accrue on an unsubsidized loan as soon as it is disbursed to a students account. Students may pay the interest while in school, during grace periods, deferment or forbearance periods, or may allow interest to accrue and be capitalized (that is, added to the principal amount of your loan) upon graduation. If the interest is not paid as it accrues, it will increase the total amount of the loan to be repaid as there is now a higher principal.

The MPN is available online at Log in using the student FSA user ID to complete subsidized, unsubsidized, and Grad PLUS MPN's, or use parent FSA user ID to log in when applying for PLUS.

Direct Student Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans

A student who is no longer enrolled at least half time, will enter a six-month grace period prior to being required to make loan payments. Repayment will begin at the end of the six months. This grace period is NOT renewable.

Perkins Loan (No new loans after 2017/2018 year)

Perkins loans have a nine month grace period after a student graduates, leaves school or drops below half-time status, before repayment begins. This grace period is renewable.


The repayment period for a Direct PLUS loan begins when the loan is fully disbursed, and the first payment is due 60 days after the final disbursement. However, for PLUS loans with a first disbursement date on or after July 1, 2008, the parent may defer repayment:
- the parent who borrowed the loan is enrolled on at least half-time, and
- for an additional six months after the student ceases to be enrolled at least half-time.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protects the privacy of student records by requiring written consent before disclosing personally identifiable information to a third party. If a students has not completed a Consent to Release information form, the Office of Financial Aid cannot discuss any student specific information.

Students who become eligible for a full ROTC scholarship after receiving a Norwich financial aid award, are repackaged based on ROTC provisions. They do not retain their original awards. Tuition and other support is provided by ROTC and Norwich provides funding for room and board through the ID White Scholarship. Students who do not receive full tuition coverage through ROTC are repackaged with an ROTC based financial aid award. All ROTC students are able to retain their Federal Pell Grant eligibility in addition to their ROTC award. If a student is no longer eligible for a ROTC scholarship, their original Norwich financial aid award will be reinstated.

NU Merit scholarship funds are a tuition only award. The total of NU Merit scholarships plus funding through outside resources specific to tuition may not exceed the total of tuition and fee charges for each academic year. Students eligible for need-based grants, Federal Pell Grant, or other outside scholarships may receive these awards above the total of tuition and fees, not to exceed the total cost of attendance.

If you are eligible for veteran's benefits you should supply the Office of Financial Aid and the certifying official with a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility. students must apply with the VA for the Certificate of Eligibility.

Scholarships or grants used to pay for qualified tuition and course-related expenses are not taxable.

However, if any portion of your grants or scholarships are used to pay for non-qualified expenses, such as travel or room and board, and you are required to file a tax return, then you are responsible for reporting this portion as taxable income. For further guidance and a description of qualified and non-qualified expenses, please review IRS Publication 970 (PDF), Tax Benefits for Education, Chapter 1.

To determine the taxable amount, refer to the worksheet located on page 6 of the IRS Publication. If a student determines they have a taxable amount, it must reported as income, even if you do not receive a W-2 form. The taxable portion is included in the Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) on your tax return. On the FAFSA, you will report the taxable amount so that it will be deducted from your AGI, so as not to adversely affect your eligibility for federal student aid for the next school year.

These are two separate offices. You should contact the Office of Financial Aid for any questions regarding your financial aid package, filing the FAFSA and questions related to loans, grants and scholarships. You should contact the Bursar's office regarding any billing-related questions.

The cash management statement releases permission for the Bursar's Office to use financial aid funds to pay non-tuition costs such as parking fees or library fees. Signing this is optional.

Medical insurance can be waived online at Gallagher Koster's website. Contact the Bursar's Office in regards to submitting this waiver.

If study abroad is required for graduation from your academic program, you will be eligible to receive a portion of your scholarships and grants. Your aid will be adjusted according to the cost of the program you select. You will not receive aid in excess of the direct bill cost of tuition and fees. Students are eligible to retain their federal Pell Grant and student loan eligibility to help with additional costs. If you are required to study abroad for one semester to meet graduation requirements, you will only be eligible to receive your full NU scholarships and grants for one semester. If you are part of one of the cohort study abroad groups, your cost for the semester abroad will mirror your cost on campus and therefore your aid will remain fully intact.

Undergraduate Admissions & Aid

Contacts and Hours

Undergraduate Admissions

Norwich University  
Roberts Hall 
158 Harmon Drive  
Northfield, VT 05663  
1 (802) 485-2001

Financial Aid

Norwich University
Jackman Hall 
158 Harmon Drive 
Northfield, VT 05663 
1 (802) 485-2850

Office Hours

Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Walk-in and by appointment